Sunday, April 10, 2011

Here are examples of how two candidates answer the question

Here are examples of how two candidates answer the question:

Candidate #1 "I had a great boss, but he left. From the very beginning it was clear that my new boss and I were going to be at odds. We just had different types of personalities. She kept changing the rules. One   MBT Sapatu Shoes,day she would want it this way, and the next day another way," rambled Karen. "I don't usually have problems with bosses but this woman was really overbearing in her management approach."

This is not the best way to present the situation. This candidate could be classified as a "whiner." Badmouthing former employers during the MBT Changa, is a bad idea. No one wants to hear about someone else's shortcomings, particularly someone they don't even know.

A better example of how to handle the situation:

Candidate #2 "I was let go after a major reorganization. The merging of different cultures had caused a major change in the way things were done. There were some differences of opinion between my boss and myself and, in the end, I was fired.. I take responsibility for my part in the way things turned out. I learned a lot from the experience, and in retrospect, I would have handled it differently. But, that is behind me now, and I am ready to move on with a new perspective."

This is a much better answer because it demonstrates strength and self-confidence. Candidate #2 takes responsibility and deals with the question honestly.

Whether you were let go under unfair circumstances or for something you did and regret, scripting your answer ahead of the interview will help you. You don't want to bad-mouth your former employer or sound like a MBT Sapatu, (even if you were). Practice your answer with someone in a mock interview and obtain feedback on your comfort-level while discussing your situation.

No comments:

Post a Comment